Description of the Experience
n-home meal: (2-6 guests) Your Local Host will greet you at the door and welcome you into her apartment. As soon as you enter you will notice that they have minimal furniture and, like many Bohri families, they relax and dine on while seated on the floor. As you enjoy your welcome drink, your host will tell you about the Bohri history and culture. They are firm believers in the maxim: “The family that eats together stays together” and hence you will dine with the family on a communal stainless steel platter called a thaal, which will be laid out on the floor. Once you are seated around the thaal, a family member will pass a basin of water for everyone to wash his or her hands.The meal begins with the tasting of salt, which is meant to cleanse the palate. In Bohri homes, sweets are served at the start of the meal so you might begin with Sodanna(a small dish made of rice,sugar and ghee garnished with nuts which is considered auspicious) followed by another exotic dessert. The menu might include some of our Host's specialities like daal chaawal palidu (a rice and lentil dish that is essential to all Bohra celebrations)Or mutton or chicken biryani, lagan ya seekh (layered minced meat topped with eggs)Or Chicken in red sauce Or Kheema Samosa (minced meat samosas).Menu might vary as you can even customise it prior with your host. Veg options also available.Notes: Eating from the thaal is a communal activity and is considered to be a symbol of unity, equality and sharing. You will be seated on the floor around the thaal. Each dish will be served individually as a separate course and will be placed in the center of the thaal. Each diner will serve him or herself. Take your portion and place it in the section of the thaal that is in front of you. The family has a “no waste” policy, so diners are asked to only take as much as you can eat. Please note that you will relax and dine seated on cushions on the floor.
- Indulge in a Bohri Thaal with over 8 delicious traditional dishes served in epic proportions
- Dig in and enjoy a 3-course meal with desserts, beverages and accompaniments
- Try secret recipes and food hacks from the kitchen of a super talented Bohri Host
- Try traditional delicacies like the Chicken in red masala, smoked mutton kheema samosas Bohri Biryani and many more
- Amazing insight into the Bohri culture and traditions
checkJoin in lunch/dining experience
check3 course meal with dessert and accompaniments
clearPick up and drop off
- You will receive a confirmation email and voucher instantly after booking.
- In the event that you do not receive an email from us, please check your Spam folder or notify us via email.
- Full refund will be issued for cancellations made at least 72 hours prior to the activity.