Description of the Experience
The Elephanta Caves are a great tourist attraction in the vicinity of the large Mumbai metropolis. The Elephanta island is located 10 km away from the Gateway of India at Mumbai. These caves house rock-cut temples dating back to the 5th century CE. The Elephanta island was so named by the Portuguese, after the statue of an elephant near the landing area of the island. These rock cut temples dedicated to Shiva Mahadeva are rich in sculptural content.
- A private guided tour of the Elephanta Caves. UNESCO World Heritage site
- Rock cut stone sculptures that show syncretism of Hindu and Buddhist ideas & iconography
- Caves date back to the 5th and 9th century and are attributed to various Hindu dynasties.
checkEnglish speaking guide
checkPrivate car for hotel pick-up and drop-off
checkFerry ride tickets
checkElephanta cave entrance charges
checkParking and toll charges.
clearTips and Gratuities (optional)
Meet up point
- Hotel Pickup And Drop-off
- You will receive a confirmation email and voucher instantly after booking.
- In the event that you do not receive an email from us, please check your Spam folder or notify us via email.
- Full refund will be issued for cancellations made at least 72 hours prior to the activity.
How to use
- You can present either a printed or a mobile voucher for this activity
- This voucher is valid only on the date and time specified
- During monsoon season (15 June-15 September), the tour of Elephanta Caves will be subject to favorable weather conditions since it cannot run in the event of rains or high tide
- If you have opted for the wagon transfer service, the operator will reconfirm the pick up time in advance
- Child ticket: Age 3-11
- Children under 0-2 years old can participate free of charge
- This tour does not operate on Monday
- No strict dress code is enforced at tour sites. However, please be advised to dress modestly for places of worship
- A moderate amount of walking is involved. Comfortable walking shoes, sunglasses/sunscreen, hats or scarf are highly recommended
- This tour is not recommended for pregnant women, guests with heart problems or other serious medical conditions and those with walking disabilities or guests who will need use of a wheelchair
- The transfers option includes roundtrip hotel transfers. Pick up and drop off are available only for hotels in areas between Colaba-Andheri and Colaba-Kurla-Powai. For areas beyond Andheri and Powai, additional charges are applicable to be paid in cash to the operator Entrance fees to Elephanta Caves (INR600per person) is applicable for non-Indian passport holders only. Indian tourists have different rates for entrance feesItinerary: The driver will reach the hotel address at the pick-up time selected by you while booking.The driver will drop you at the Gateway of India, where you will meet your guide for the tour. After a quick introduction, you will board the ferry boat with the guide to reach the Elephanta Cave entrance.The guide will take the entrance tickets for the caves and the tour will begin.The guide will take you through all the caves sharing the history and religious significance of the structures. At the end of the tour, you will board the ferry back to the Gateway Of India where you will meet your cab driver.The cab will drop you back to the hotel.