Description of the Experience
Enjoy this private excursion to Bishnupur, known for its unique terracotta temples. Bishnupur (also spelt as Vishnupur) is famous for its terracotta temples, pottery, and baluchari sarees. You will first visit the temples, all built of terracotta. Stones have always been in short supply in the vast flood plains of Bengal. Hence the architects had to find other sources. As clay was easily available the burnt clay bricks soon became a substitute for stone. This gave rise to a new form of temple architecture and lead to the construction of elaborately decorated terracotta temples. The terracotta art reached its pinnacle under the patronage of the Malla Kings of Bishnupur during the 17th century. The temples are still in good condition and a must visit for architecture enthusiasts. Apart from the temples, Bishnupur is known for terracotta pottery, artifacts and jewelry. Bishnupur is also known for its silk (tussar), particularly the baluchari sarees. Woven on jacquard punch-card looms, these sarees have episodes from the Mahabharata woven into the border and pallu.
- Enjoy a private excursion to Bishnupur and discover the medieval terracotta temples of the 17th century Malla Kingdom
- A magical experience of Baluchari silk saree weaving
- Meet the legendary silk weavers who will demonstrate the intricate art of weaving silk sarees with the ‘Ramayana’ scenes woven all over the saree border
- A rendezvous with the last remaining Terracotta Potters of Panchmura to learn the history of the craft and stories of the associated rituals.
checkA private air-conditioned vehicle
checkAll taxes, fees and handling charges
checkLocal 100% verified passionate Amigo
checkHotel pickup and drop-off
Meet up point
- Hotel Pickup And Drop-off
- You will receive a confirmation email and voucher instantly after booking.
- In the event that you do not receive an email from us, please check your Spam folder or notify us via email.
- Full refunds will be issued for cancellations made at least 72 hours prior to the activity.